Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Celebrating Thanksgiving


In a departure from the usual, I'll scoot away from my normal business and talk a little about Thanksgiving.  Although most Americans associate this holiday with the early Pilgrims in New England, Thanksgiving is celebrated throughout the world in some fashion.

For example, our wonderful neighbors to the north celebrate their Thanksgiving in October.  In 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."

I had the very good fortune of hosting a visitor from Korea yesterday who told me about their Thanksgiving, a wonderful three-day holiday celebrated about the time of the autumnal equinox.

For me, I am blessed to have my 85 year old mother coming to visit me from Greensboro, NC and with her visit, make her wonderful creamed onions, a New England tradition.  So to all of you out there, my best wishes for a wonderful holiday full of bounty and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment